Extended Interview - Average Homeboy's Web Redemption

  • Season 2, Ep 205
  • 02/10/2010
  • Views: 74,218
0 comments

Tosh and Average Homeboy Denny Blazen discuss what it takes to be a successful white rapper. (7:04)

>> DANNY.

>> WHAT'S UP, HOMEBOY?

>> WHAT'S UP, DUDE?

SHAKING IT, MAN.

UH.

>> GOOD SEEING YOU.

GOOD SEEING YOU, DUDE.

NICE RIDE HERE.

THIS IS A CHEVY.

I LIKE IT.

>> IT'S ABOVE AVERAGE.

>> YEAH.

SHINING MY CAR BRINGS ME

LOTS OF JOY.

>> OH, YEAH?

>> 'CAUSE I'M AN AVERAGE

HOMEBOY.

>> LET'S TALK ABOUT YOUR VIDEO.

WHEN DID YOU MAKE THAT VIDEO?

>> I MADE THAT VIDEO AS A

TEENAGER ABOUT 20 YEARS AGO.

IT'S AMAZING BECAUSE WHEN

I MADE THE VIDEO,

I HAD TO HAVE A LITTLE SPIEL

ON THE FRONT OF IT WHERE I--

"HELLO, I'M JUST A MIDDLE CLASS

GUY EXPRESSING MY POINT OF

VIEW."

AND I WAS JUST GONNA TALK

TO A COUPLE PEOPLE AT WARNER

BROS. RECORDS OR A COUPLE

PEOPLE AT MTV.

I DIDN'T KNOW THERE WAS GONNA

BE AN INTERNET ONE DAY,

AND THE WHOLE WORLD,

I'D GET TO TALK TO THE WHOLE

WORLD AND TELL THEM MY STORY.

>> ARE YOU STILL TRYING TO

PURSUE THE RAP GAME?

>> WELL, WHAT'S GREAT NOW

IS THERE'S ITUNES.

YOU CAN GO TO ITUNES,

SEARCH "DENNY BLAZIN,

YOUR AVERAGE HOMEBOY."

MY STUFF POPS UP.

YOU DON'T EVEN NEED WARNER BROS.

ANYMORE.

SO, YEAH, I STILL MAKE MUSIC,

AND I'M STILL SMOOTHING OUT

MY RAPPING.

>> HOW DID YOU COME UP WITH

THE NAME "AVERAGE HOMEBOY"?

>> AT THE TIME, EVERYBODY

WAS COLD, ICE, THUG,

GANGSTA, ALL THAT.

AND SO BLAZIN HAZEN WAS

JUST THE OPPOSITE.

IT WAS HOT.

IT WAS NOT GANGSTA.

AND BEING FROM A SMALL SUBURB

COMMUNITY IN OHIO,

I JUST WANTED TO SAY, "HEY,

I'M NOT RICH, I'M NOT POOR,

I'M NOT PRETENDING TO BE

FROM THE STREETS OF NEW YORK."

AND I WANTED TO TELL MY POINT

OF VIEW FROM A WHITE GUY,

SAYING, HEY, YOU KNOW, I HAVE

TO WASH MY CAR AND I CUT

THE GRASS AND JUST TELL--RAP

ABOUT WHO I WAS.

>> NAME YOUR TOP THREE FAVORITE

WHITE RAPPERS.

>> WELL, VANILLA ICE

DID A GREAT JOB.

>> WHOO, HE WAS BLAZIN' AS WELL.

>> WHAT MAKES ME MAD ABOUT--

HE HAD TO TAKE SO MUCH HEAT

JUST FOR BEING A WHITE GUY

DOING RAP.

YOU GOT TO TAKE--

GIVE HIM RESPECT FOR BLAZING

THE TRAIL.

>> SURE.

>> AND JUST BECAUSE HE WAS

WHITE, HE WAS CRITICIZED

FOR WHETHER HE'S GOOD

OR WHETHER HE'S BAD.

I JUST FOUND OUT LAST WEEK

THAT I'M IN THE WHITE RAPPERS

ENCYCLOPEDIA.

>> ARE THE ENCYCLOPEDIAS

BROKEN UP BY RACE?

BECAUSE I HAVE ISSUE WITH THAT.

WHAT'S THE MOST EXCITING THING

THAT'S HAPPENED SINCE

THIS VIDEO HAS BECOME POPULAR?

>> MY FAVORITE THING WAS

GOING TO VH1 IN NEW YORK CITY

AND GETTING TO RAP IN TIMES

SQUARE AND GOING UP INTO

THEIR PARAMOUNT PLAZA

AND HAVING A DRESSING ROOM

AND GOING IN AND BEING ON THERE

INTERNET SUPERSTAR COUNTDOWN.

THEY NAMED ME NUMBER THREE

ON THE GREATEST INTERNET

SUPERSTAR COUNTDOWN.

>> WHAT WE SHOULD DO, THOUGH,

INSTEAD OF VH1,

WE SHOULD GET YOU ON B.E.T.

>> WHY AREN'T THERE MORE

WHITE RAPPERS ON B.E.T.?

>> BECAUSE IT'S BLACK

ENTERTAINMENT.

>> SHOULD WE START W.E.T.?

>> WHAT WOULD THAT STAND FOR?

>> WHITE ENTERTAINMENT

TELEVISION?

BUT WOULD THAT BE ILLEGAL?

>> NO, IT CERTAINLY WOULDN'T

BE ILLEGAL.

I THINK IT WOULD BE CALLED

NBC, CBS, AND FOX.

MOST RAPPERS PUT A LOT OF WOMEN

IN THEIR VIDEOS.

I NOTICED YOU DID NOT.

WHY?

>> WELL, BEING A TEENAGER

20 YEARS AGO, I DIDN'T HAVE

A BIG BUDGET TO HIRE MODELS

AND STUFF.

BUT AVERAGE HOMEBOY IS JUST

ABOUT SHOOTING HOOPS AND

WASHING CARS AND DOING

GUY KIND OF--

>> AVERAGE HOMEBOY PROBABLY HAS

A STABLE OF AVERAGE-LOOKING

GIRLS HE COULD PUT IN A VIDEO,

IS MY GUESS.

>> WELL, I LIKE

ABOVE-AVERAGE-LOOKING GIRLS,

BUT--

>> OH.

OKAY.

>> BUT, YEAH, SO I WOULDN'T

MIGHT BE OPPOSED TO PUTTING THEM

IN A REDEMPTION VIDEO.

>> WHY DO YOU FEEL THE WHITE MAN

HAS BEEN HELD BACK

IN THE RAP GAME?

>> I THINK IT IS A REVERSE

DISCRIMINATION TO SAY,

HEY, YOU CAN'T RAP

BECAUSE YOU'RE WHITE.

HEY, IT'S OKAY TO MAKE A MOVIE

WHITE MEN CAN'T JUMP,

BUT IF YOU MADE A MOVIE

CALLED "BLACK MAN CAN'T SWIM,"

THEN THERE'S A BIG HOOPTY-DOO.

BUT MY THING IS THAT, HEY--

>> THAT SEEMS LIKE A GOOD MOVIE.

I'LL BE HONEST WITH YOU.

>> IT'S A GOOD MOVIE, BUT--

>> IF YOU PITCHED THAT

IN THIS TOWN, "BLACK MAN

CAN'T SWIM," WHOO.

>> YEAH, BUT YOU WOULD ALSO

BE SAYING, "YOU'RE A RACIST

AND ALL THAT."

>> YOU GOT TO PUT ONE OF THE

WAYANS BROTHERS IN IT.

WOULD YOU SAY THAT YOUR RAP

STYLE IS AT ITS PEAK RIGHT NOW?

>> I STARTED OFF VERY OLD

SCHOOL, AND BACK THEN,

YOU DIDN'T HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY

OF THE DIGITAL OR NON-LINEAR

EDITING.

IT WAS JUST "PLAY AND RECORD"

ON A CASSETTE.

MY STYLE NOW HAS CHANGED

BECAUSE NOW YOU CAN HAVE

MULTIPLE LAYERS OF AUDIO TRACKS

AND 100 TRACKS BEHIND YOU.

SO I HAVE CHANGED UP MY WRITING

STYLES AND MY MUSIC

A LITTLE BIT, SO...

>> IS YOUR FLOW BETTER TODAY

THAN IT WAS 20 YEARS AGO?

>> MY FLOW IS MUCH MORE SMOOTH.

>> DO YOU KNOW ANY BLACK PEOPLE?

>> I HAVE A LOT OF CLOSE BLACK

FRIENDS, ACTUALLY.

GUYS I WORK WITH AND JUST

SOME GOOD BUDDIES

THAT ARE, UH--

>> DO THEY LIKE YOUR FLOW?

>> THEY--THEY LIKE MY--

MY, UH, STYLE, I GUESS,

THE COMEDY I PUT INTO STUFF.

AND THEY APPRECIATE WHAT I DO.

THEY RESPECT IT.

THAT'S THE KEY THING,

IS RESPECT.

THERE'S NOT A LOT OF RESPECT

OUT THERE ANYMORE.

>> WAS THERE A CHOREOGRAPHER

HIRED FOR YOUR DANCE MOVES,

OR DID YOU COME UP WITH THOSE

ALL ON YOUR OWN?

>> I HAVE TO ADMIT,

I CAME UP WITH THOSE ALL

ON MY OWN.

THE BASIC STEP WAS THE PELVIC

THRUST.

>> MAY I SEE THE PELVIC THRUST?

>> WELL, HOW ABOUT YOU DO IT

WITH ME?

>> I'D LOVE TO.

>> PUSH YOUR HANDS DOWN

AND YOUR PELVIC OUT.

READY?

>> OKAY.

>> ONE, TWO, THREE.

HUH! HUH! HUH!

>> [exhaling sharply]

>> THERE YOU GO.

>> OH, YOU JUST BEEN BLAZED.

>> YOU JUST GOT BLAZED

AND TOSHED.

>> THAT DOESN'T SOUND

AS GOOD, LET'S BE HONEST.

>> YOU DON'T LIKE "TOSHED"?

EH.

>> I MEAN, IT'S NOT "BLAZE."

"BLAZE" IS PRETTY GOOD.

>> THANKS, MAN.

>> I GOT TO WORK ON MY RAP NAME.

ALL RIGHT, LET'S GET DEEP

FOR A SECOND.

DO YOU STAY AVERAGE

BECAUSE OF YOUR FEAR

FOR SUCCESS?

>> WELL, I'LL BE HONEST.

I THINK MONEY IS THE ROOT

OF ALL EVIL.

I REALLY DON'T EVER WANT

TO BE FILTHY, STINKING RICH

BECAUSE I THINK IT CORRUPTS.

I--IF I WAS LOADED,

I'D PROBABLY, YOU KNOW,

HELP OUT MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS

AND THINGS LIKE THAT.

BUT I THINK THAT, FOR THE LOVE

MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL.

>> WHAT ABOUT UPPER MIDDLE?

>> I COULD LIVE WITH

UPPER MIDDLE.

YEAH, I DON'T MIND UPPER MIDDLE,

BUT--

>> THAT'S HOW WE ROLL.

>> JUST A LITTLE BIT ABOVE

AVERAGE.

>> SURE.

>> JUST A LITTLE BIT.

>> THAT'S WHERE WE'LL GET YOU.

WHEN PEOPLE LISTEN TO YOUR

MUSIC, WHAT DO YOU WANT THEM

TO TAKE WITH THEM?

>> I'M AN AVERAGE, MIDDLE CLASS

GUY FROM THE SUBURBS

WHO KEEPS IT REAL.

AND, YOU KNOW, IT DOESN'T MATTER

WHAT COLOR YOU ARE.

I HAPPEN TO BE WHITE,

BUT I LIKE TO RAP.

AND IF YOU BELIEVE IN YOURSELF,

YOU CAN DO ANYTHING.

IT MAY TAKE 17 OR 20 YEARS LATER

TO DO IT, BUT IF YOU BELIEVE

IN YOURSELF, YOU KNOW, ALL

THINGS ARE POSSIBLE.

>> WOULD YOU CONSIDER YOURSELF

AN O.G.?

>> NO, BECAUSE I'M NOT GANGSTA.

OH, YOU KNOW WHAT I COULD BE?

I COULD BE O.B.

>> WHAT WOULD THAT BE?

>> ORIGINAL BLAZE.

>> ORIGINAL BLAZE.

I THINK THERE'S ONLY ONE

AND ONLY BLAZE.

>> THERE YOU GO.

>> DO YOU THINK YOU'LL BE DOING

THIS FOR THE NEXT 20 YEARS?

>> YOU NEVER KNOW WHERE YOU'LL

BE IN 20 YEARS.

I CERTAINLY DIDN'T THINK

I'D BE OUT HERE IN L.A.

WITH YOU WHILE DOING TOSH.0

20 YEARS AGO.

>> THE WEIRD THING IS,

20 YEARS AGO, I THOUGHT I WOULD

BE HERE WITH YOU.

>> YOU'RE PROBABLY NOT EVEN

20 YEARS OLD, DANIEL.

>> AW.

BLAZE.

>> [laughs]

>> YOU'RE CRAZY.

YOUR RAPS TEND TO BE

ON THE CLEANER SIDE.

DO YOU DO THAT ON PURPOSE?

>> I DO.

I LIKE TO BE A ROLE MODEL

AND EXAMPLE FOR PEOPLE.

AND I LIKE TO STAND OUT

FROM THE CROWD.

I LIKE TO BE A LEADER.

AND MOST--EVERYBODY THAT GOES

ALONG WITH THE CROWD

HAS TO BE HARDCORE, GANGSTA,

USING CURSE WORDS,

AND ALL THAT.

MY RAP IS ABOUT HAVING

GOOD, CLEAN FUN.

>> WELL, I WANT TO GET YOU

IN THE STUDIO.

AND I BROUGHT IN, YOU KNOW,

A LEGEND TO HELP YOU

TAKE YOUR FLOW TO THE NEXT

LEVEL.

>> ALWAYS LOOKING TO GET

BETTER, ALWAYS LOOKING

TO SMOOTH OUT MY RAPPING,

AND GLAD TO BE OUT HERE

WITH YOU GUYS.

Loading...